A Plaque in 1939
Perhaps the first tangible expression of the understanding that Emperor deserves to be remembered and thanked came in the form of a plaque dedicated and placed in February 1939 by the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus (ECV) — or, as they call themselves, “the Clampers” — a group that seeks to be a guardian of the Gold Rush history of the American West and that holds Emperor Norton as a patron saint.
The plaque reads:
And Be Grateful to
Emperor of the United States
Protector of Mexico, 1859-80,
Whose Prophetic Wisdom
Conceived and Decreed the
Bridging of San Francisco Bay
August 18 1869
Alas, there was a problem with “August 18 1869,” which in fact was the date of a fake Proclamation — there were many of these, jokes at the Emperor’s expense — that had the Emperor calling for a bridge “spanning” an absurdly malingering route from Oakland to Goat Island (now Yerba Buena Island) to Sausalito to the Farralon Islands, an uninhabited outcropping of rocks 30 miles off the coast of San Francisco. The original bridge to nowhere.
Emperor Norton’s biographer, William Drury, explains the response to the Clampers’ plaque:
A fitting memorial, the editorialists said, let it be put on the bridge. But the Bridge Authority denied permission, arguing that the Emperor had nothing to do with the bridge. There was an awful fuss; everybody wanted the plaque on the bridge and only the bridge directors opposed it. But the Bridge Authority had all the power and the fake decree to uphold their claim that His Majesty had merely commanded that a span be built from Goat Island to Sausalito and the godforsaken Farallones. Even E Clampus Vitus could not argue with that evidence, because they had put on the plaque that he ordered the bay to be bridged on August 18, 1869, the date on the only proclamation then known to exist and nobody knew it was a fraud.
So the history buffs gave up and installed the plaque in the lobby of the Cliff House at Seal Rocks, a restaurant that boasts of a tenuous connection with Mark Twain….That’s where the plaque is today, on the wall of a resort that never saw His Majesty’s face.
That was 1986, the year Drury’s book was published. According to E Clampus Vitus records (see descriptions 9 and 15 on the second page of the document excerpt here), the ECV plaque was installed at the Cliff House on 25 February 1955 and remained there for more than 30 years before being relocated to the Transbay Terminal — a 1939 bus and rail depot in downtown San Francisco — in November 1986, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Bay Bridge. The terminal closed in 2010, to make way for the construction of the new Transbay Transit Center, scheduled to open in late 2018.
There have been reports that the 1939 plaque, now in storage, will be part of a permanent interpretive exhibit in the new transit center.
To return to the Overview of our bridge-naming project, click here.