This photograph of Emperor Norton, taken late in his life, is one of the most iconic and poignant images of the Emperor.
He looks a little annoyed and a little confused.
Is he annoyed and confused by us?
Shouldn't he be?
Whether you're new to the Emperor's story or an "inveterate Nortonian," you're sure to learn more about the Emperor — eccentric and fascinating; progressive and visionary; humane and heroic — in the pages linked below.
These pages — also linked in the "Emperor Norton" drop-down menu at left — include:
- Our biographical essay on Emperor Norton
- Our gallery of photographs of the Emperor — the most comprehensive collection anywhere online
- Information about our celebration of the upcoming bicentennial of the Emperor's birth — in February 2018
- Our Emperor's Birth Date Research Project, where we make the case that — contrary to the conventional wisdom — Joshua Abraham Norton was born on 4 February 1818
- Our Emperor Norton Map of the World — an historically informed and annotated interactive map of the sites where Emperor Norton lived, worked and visited
- Resources for further learning, including our recommended reading and three short video documentaries
Click below for more: